Saturday, October 2, 2010

Another week in Jerusalem

We hit the ground running as soon as we got back from Egypt. School is really busy and I can't resist going into the city as much as possible.
Monday I went to the Western Wall with some people to see the Bar Mitzvas that take place Monday and Thursday mornings. We also saw people carrying around their lulavs for the Sukkot, the festival of the tabernacles
Wednesday morning I went to the western wall to see the festivities of the Hoshana Rabba, the last day of Sukkot. It is the day that they pray for rain to come during the winter months. There is also a traditional beating of willows on the ground. I went into the city in the afternoon. We went to Dormition Abbey which is a Roman Catholic church and is where they believe Mary went into eternal sleep. We also went through the Jewish Quarter of the Old City and saw the Sukas (little huts) that people had put up for Sukkot. It is in remembrance of the children of Israel's years of wandering in the wilderness. They eat all their meals in these Sukas during this week of Sukkot. I also went to the Church of the Redeemer which has a tall tower that has a great view of the city.
Thursday I went to Omar's and bought a olive wood nativity set. I also saw David's Tomb and Absalom's Pillar.
Friday I went to a Jewish synagogue for the friday night service to welcome in the Sabbath. It was a neat experience.
Its been another busy week and hopefully I will be able to upload pictures again soon.

2 comments:

  1. um.... i just found out you had a blog. why did you not tell me this sooner??? you think you can fly under the radar and hide from me? well i've got news for you sista, you can't!!! i will always find you. and love you.

    toodles.

    ReplyDelete